One killed in Salem house fire | News
SALEM, AL (WTVM)- A house fire claimed the life of one person Thursday morning in Salem, Ala.
News Leader 9's Annie Hubbell was first on the scene.
A home caught on fire in the Haley Woods subdivision in Salem at 22 Lee Road and claimed the life of 45-year-old Kimberly Renee Tucker Bailey.
A call came in from a passerby around 9:15 CST Thursday morning, and volunteer fire squads from Salem and Crawford responded to the scene within five minutes.
Bailey was found in the burning structure and was declared dead at the scene.
Neighbors were shocked when they first discovered the home fully engulfed in flames.
"I was just praying this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, something just had me to stay up and pray and when I opened the door around ten something me and my husband saw the house going up in flames, a lot of smoke," said resident Haley Woods.
Neighbors also tell News Leader 9 that the people who lived at the home are some of the oldest residents in the subdivision who always lent a helping hand when needed.
We will keep you updated with the latest details of this home fire and the victim as they come in.
Copyright 2012 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Trial delayed for alleged Southern Union Comm. College shooter
- Lee County inmate turns himself in after walking away from work detail
- Opelika police need your help identifying debit card theft suspect
- Mother of Opelika rape suspect is no longer a foster parent
- Lee Co. Coroner: Alcohol may have been factor in Tuesday’s fatal crash